Moose Jaw Divorce Lawyer

Can I Get a Divorce Without My Spouse's Consent

Can I Get a Divorce Without My Spouse’s Consent?

Divorce gets more challenging when both spouses do not agree on ending the marriage, right?

Well, in this case, one may ask a question: can I get a divorce without my spouse’s consent? But, the process may be more complex and time-consuming. 

We will discuss the legal aspects of obtaining a divorce without your spouse’s agreement in Canada, focusing on the general procedures and requirements. 

Always remember that divorce laws may vary by province, so before you go for it, it’s really important to consult with a legal professional for guidance specific to your situation.

Can I Get a Divorce Without My Spouse’s Consent in Canada?

Getting a divorce when your partner doesn’t agree can be tricky. In Canada, it’s possible, but there are special rules. Let’s explore how to do it step by step.

Legal Grounds for Divorce in Canada

In Canada, divorce is governed by federal law, specifically the Divorce Act. To obtain a divorce, you need to demonstrate that your marriage has broken down, which can be established in one of three ways:

  1. Separation: You and your spouse must have lived separately and apart for at least one year.
  2. Adultery: You can file for divorce if your spouse has committed adultery, and you can prove it.
  3. Cruelty: If your spouse has treated you with physical or mental cruelty, you can seek a divorce.

The Role of Consent

In Canada, consent from your spouse is not required for a divorce. Even if your spouse does not agree to the divorce, you can proceed. The court’s primary concern is the marriage breakdown, not whether both parties want the divorce.

Initiate the Divorce Process

To initiate the divorce process without your spouse’s consent, you will need to follow these steps:

  1. Legal Representation: It is highly recommended to consult with a family lawyer who specializes in divorce cases. They can provide legal advice and guide you through the process.
  2. Filing a Divorce Application: You or your lawyer must file a divorce application in the appropriate provincial court. You must pay a filing fee, which can vary by province.
  3. Serving the Divorce Papers: After applying, you must serve the divorce papers to your spouse. This can be done by a process server or through registered mail. Your spouse will have a specific time frame to respond.

Respond to the Divorce Application

If your spouse does not consent to the divorce, they may choose to contest it. In such cases, your spouse can file a response to the divorce application, outlining their objections. This can lead to a more lengthy legal process and potentially a court trial.

Court Proceedings

If your spouse contests the divorce, the court may schedule hearings to address the issues, such as custody, support, and property division. The court will evaluate the evidence presented by both parties before making a decision.

Obtain a Divorce Decree

Once the court is satisfied that the marriage has unrecoverably broken down and all related matters are resolved, it will issue a divorce decree. This decree officially ends the marriage. It’s important to note that the divorce process can take several months, depending on the case’s complexity.

Legal Costs

Divorce proceedings, especially when contested, can be costly due to legal fees and court costs. It’s advisable to discuss the potential expenses with your lawyer and prepare accordingly.

Custody and Support

If you have children, custody and child support arrangements must be addressed during the divorce process. The court will prioritize the best interests of the children, and both parents’ input will be considered.

Property Division

In cases of contested divorce, the division of marital property and assets can also be a controversial issue. The court will assess the contributions of each spouse and make a fair distribution based on the law.

Alternative Dispute Resolution

In contested divorce cases, parties can explore alternative dispute resolution methods like mediation to resolve issues more efficiently to avoid lengthy court battles. This approach can save time and money while encouraging open communication between spouses.

Final Words

In Canada, it is possible to get a divorce without your spouse’s consent by following the legal procedures outlined in the Divorce Act. The court’s primary concern is whether the marriage has broken down, not whether both spouses agree to the divorce. 

While it is possible to proceed with a divorce without your spouse’s consent, the process can be complex and time-consuming, particularly if the divorce is contested. To understand this challenging process, it’s always a wise idea to seek legal counsel and guidance from a qualified family lawyer. 


Do I need a lawyer for a divorce without my spouse’s consent?

While it’s not mandatory to hire a lawyer, it is highly recommended, especially in cases where your divorce is contested. A family lawyer experienced in divorce cases can provide valuable legal advice to help you understand the complex legal procedures. Moreover, ensure that your rights and interests are protected throughout the process. 

Can I avoid court battles when my spouse disagrees with the divorce?

Yes, you can explore alternative dispute resolution methods to settle issues more amicably and avoid lengthy court proceedings. Mediation and arbitration are two common approaches. In mediation, a neutral third party helps you and your spouse reach an agreement. In arbitration, an arbitrator makes decisions on your behalf. These methods can save time and money, promote open communication between spouses, and lead to a more cooperative divorce process.

How long does it take to finalize a divorce without my spouse’s consent in Canada?

The duration of the divorce process can vary, but it generally takes several months to complete. The timeline depends on factors such as the court’s caseload, the complexity of your case, and whether it is contested or uncontested. 

Can my spouse prevent the divorce by refusing to participate?

While your spouse cannot prevent the divorce entirely, their refusal to participate can make the process more challenging and time-consuming. If your spouse does not respond or participate in the divorce proceedings, the court may proceed with the divorce based on the information you provide. 

What happens if my spouse contests the divorce?

If your spouse contests the divorce, they do not agree with the terms or grounds you’ve presented. This can lead to court hearings and potentially a trial where both parties present their cases. The court will then decide based on the evidence and arguments presented by both sides. Contested divorces tend to be more complex and take longer to finalize.

What if I have children and want a divorce without my spouse’s consent?

If you have children and wish to divorce without your spouse’s consent, the court will prioritize the best interests of the children. The court will assess custody, access, and child support arrangements, considering both parents’ input. 

Scroll to Top